Et tanta stultitia mortalium est

My photo
Willoughby, WA, United States

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Obama says not in my back yard

Dateline, The nations capitol

      During a city council meeting last evening, President Obama made a rare, special appearance. Boot Strap America plans to open a half way house some three blocks north of the celebrated address 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. In a press release, the organization explained how this would help released inmates find new beginnings. Their slogan is: "From the sewer to the stars." A house close to the White House would give them hope for a new tomorrow.
After much fanfare in city council chambers, including 'Hail to the Chief' played by the Jefferson Elementary School Kazoo Band, President Obama made a passionate speech about why he was against the location of the half way house.  "Americans, citizens and neighbors, this is a good idea. We need someplace where reform and hope can happen. But not here. I am sure all of you feel as I do. Ex-criminals can be good people as long as I don't have to be near them. It's the same thing with the homeless. They're good people dealing with hard times, but, hey, do you really want to touch them? And they smell. They're disgusting.  And I am not going to talk about those foreigners. Can't they learn English? All of us must do our part, but we don't have to associate with those people. This half way house is so right... so correct... and I back it. But not in my neighborhood. It's a safety issue. Let's just build it somewhere I will never go. That's the right place."
Mr. President, Americans (Democratic and Republican) salute you. We all wish to be good people and help those in need. But keep it out of my backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment